In partnership with CBSSports.com
The place for the most trusted source for reliable, accurate information on OU Sports
Men's & women's basketball, baseball, softball and other OU sports
The place for discussion on topics not related to the Oklahoma Sooners
The place to buy, sell or trade tickets
You have no favorite boards.
1) Whitney Hand-I just feel terrible for her. Sherri Coale once said one of the saddest days of her coaching career would be when Whitney played her last game for the Sooners. Little did anyone know it would end with another injury before conference play even starts. Best wishes to Whitney for a speedy recovery and thanks for being a Sooner!
2) Justin Manning-I hope this subject is closed. I haven't seen this much discussion and anxiety for one player in a long, long time and I've followed recruiting for many years. I don't like guys doing the hat thing especially 2 months before signing day. He might turn out to be a great player and he might turn out to be a bust. His brother was more highly recruited and due to injury (had back issues) was really never a major factor most of the time. Sure, I wish OU would have gotten him but it's not like he was the #1 player at his position, etc. He's too light right now and likely wouldn't have seen the field at the first anyway-unless we had nobody else which right now looks quite possible.
3) I'd be less than honest if I said I wasn't concerned about recruiting right now. Happy with the guys we've got committed (although a couple who shall remain nameless I question why we took) now but the lack of linemen on both sides of the ball is very concerning. And it's not like we've got several waiting to commit. If we don't get some JUCO guys on the both sides of the ball-I have no idea what we'll do. The coaches really need to start planning for next year the day after signing day.
4) Cotton Bowl-I'm disappointed that OU isn't going to the Sugar Bowl but more disappointed about playing A$M. If our team doesn't come ready to play-we could get embarrassed. They are a much better team and better coached than the one that was in the Big 12. They are now SEC tough and a mobile QB always gives us fits even when we had good defenses-and this is not a good defense.
5) 10-2-solid season but what could have been? We could have been 12-0 with just a couple of plays going the other way. On the other hand, we could just as easily been 8-4 or 7-5 if a few plays in our wins had gone the other way also. That's just football.
6) Coaching openings-Can't remember this many being open at once. Tennessee just filled their's today after going to about their 3rd or 4th choice. And that's a very good job. Be thankful we have Bob Stoops, Joe C and David Boren running things. Yes, we fuss about some things that happen on the field but we are at least stable.
7) Landry Jones-Great career as a Sooner and he has one more game. I would love for him to go out with a huge game and win. I've never seen a guy with his level of play have the criticism leveled at him like it has. Sure he had some bonehead plays but when you're throwing 50+ passes a game-you'll have a few of those. Remember this-he hasn't had the best talent around him during his career. OU easily would have lost 3 of their last 4 games that became scoring fests (Baylor, W. Va and OSU) without his efforts. When the OU QB next year starts struggling (and he will)-just appreciate how good LJ really is.
8) Don't panic over recruiting and the loss of players. (apparently Marquis Anderson is the next one to leave). I'm not going to say everything is rosy but I think the staff realizes they will have to change their methods. Hopefully they will.
Skip, some good and interesting thoughts as always,
1) So true and someday she may coach here.
2) I think most of this is due need and failure to recruit the position, not just the player.
3) Tells the story for the mood of the board.
4) I am very pumped about this game and plenty still to play for, very good bowl and should be well attended by OU fans so if the guys can not get up for this one they have no business playing the game.
5) Well said! It was a good season.
7) Amen again!!! Going to go ahead and up vote you on this one because you may catch some grief...lol
8) I hope the method change happens quick because I am on the verge of panic.
Thanks Skip! Reasoned, level-headed evaluations are refreshing and appreciated. Just wish they were more common! :-)
I agree with Psych. Well thought out points. Agree with all points. The A&M game initially scared me due to past OU performances. However, I would say that La.Tech put 50+ points on A&M and almost beat them. I would dare to say that our offense is as good or better than Tech's and even though we've had some break downs, our defense is better if not way, better than Tech's D.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports