In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 375
Online now 481 Record: 4487 (2/14/2012)
The place for the most trusted source for reliable, accurate information on OU Sports
Men's & women's basketball, baseball, softball and other OU sports
The place for discussion on topics not related to the Oklahoma Sooners
The place to buy, sell or trade tickets
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
1. We have some freak athletes on campus. Geneo Grissom ran a 4.65 and benched 420. Trevor Knight benched 380 as a quarterback and had great testing numbers. Alex Ross weight up to 216 ran in the mid 4.4s and can hang clean with the best of them. All of this according to M. Stoops and Gundy. Would have like to hear impressive numbers from our Olineman.
2. Mike Stoops realizes that we lacked the athletes on the d line to get a consistent pash rush and he feels he addressed that with the d ends and d tackles signed.
3. When asked about the QB race Gundy talked up Knight and Bell the most with brief mention of Kendall Thompson. Sounds more like a two man race going into the spring.
4. Most shocking statement/comparison of the day was Mike Stoops kept referencing Roy Williams when describing Ahmad Thomas and said he is the closest to Roy Williams that he has seen coming out of high school. This excites me.
5. Mike seemed to like the two linebackers describing Jordan Evans as the prototypical linebacker and says he is a kid who is growing late. Don't be surprised if he's 6'4" 240lbs in a couple years. The other kid from Booker T. Washington is who I'm intrigued by the most. This kids is versatile and Mike says will be a 220-225lb linebacker and his film looked promising.
6. The juco o lineman Savage is huge and Gundy says he is defnitely the most physically impressive in the class.
7. Gundy feels they got a steal in WR Dannon Cavil. He is smooth big and ran a 4.62 in testing at his size. Pretty impressive.
8. Even Mike chimed in and said he hopes we run the ball better in the fall.
9. Mike said we will be more multiple next year with alignment going between a 4-2 and a 3-4. He also said he would find a better balance between playing man and zone but that usually a defense is either a zone team or a man team it's hard to do both because of the practice time it takes to be good at both.
10. The staff absolutely loves Matt Dimon and so do I. I hope he becomes a leader because the way he plays football is how it should be played.
11. Cody Thomas and Keith Ford are definitely top talents at their respective positions.
12. The tight end position will come slowly come back into the offense as the players develop. They definitely need a tight end as it helps the run game and adds another gap for the defense to defend.
13. I was surprised by how impressed Gundy was with the WR from Jenks. He says he expects him to compete as soon as he steps foot on campus.
14. Mike Stoops understands we need more play makers and definitely pass rushers. I fully expect the defense to be better next year. He mentions we need to get more negative plays as we were close to the bottom in this category.
15. Very well put together program and the food was great. Always the event of the year.
This post was edited by 905422A 14 months ago
Great stuff!!!! Thank you!
Very much appreciated. Thank you!
They really raved about Trevor Knight. This quarterback race is going to be very interesting.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me onTwitter @TylerMccomas247
Thanks for the report. For those of us out of state, this is all we get! Not much Sooner news in the Miami Herald! :)
That's who I am... a Sooner.
Thanks for all the insight. Appreciate it!
Let's get U on the OUI staff!!!...Great stuff 905.
This post was edited by MDellaVecchio 14 months ago
I also came away with the impression that Gundy was indicating that the QB race was primarily a two man race between Bell & Knight. The coaches raved at how Knight's testing numbers were off the charts for a QB. Thought he even threw better on the run.
Gundy indicated that the QB run game will be utilized some with the next starter. Thought it was funny when a patron asked Gundy if Millard would get more touches next year and Gundy said that he hoped so but that he had hoped so last season too. He then reiterated that Millard definitely needed to get more.
Gundy also felt that McNamara would be a good TE for them. He has had to get bigger, stronger, and adjust to playing in a stance. Gundy felt that he was close to getting there.
Thanks for the recap. I appreciate it.
Thanks a lot.. I want to make one of these some time.. Live in Dallas and can't make it up..
Thought it was funny when Trevor was brought up by Gundy and asked Stoops what he thought about him, ten second version of this is Stoops has his ability rated above Johnny F.
Yeah, he said he throws better on the run like Manziel.
What about the jr from Fresno that mike said would be a top 5 player in California ? Was dressed in OU gear and attended the signing for Byrd and Moore .
What postion does he play
Michiah Quick. Listed as CB and WR.
This post was edited by 83000strong 14 months ago
Gundy also stated that McNamara was up too 255. Mike Stoops made reference to Dusty Dvoracek when talking about Matt Dimon, he said he is relentless. Stoops really raved about Stanvon Taylor as well.
For those who haven't seen Matt Dimon play, you're in for a treat. I watched him in the Texas 5A state championship game and he just about spent the whole game in the other teams backfield. I know it was high school but this kid's motor never stops. He was defensive MVP of the game.
Guys, Thank you for the information. I had a very busy day in the Fort Worth area. I would love to make the luncheon some time. It seems like my clients down here have always have feel this day is a good day for meetings.
Coach Gundy also commented on Alex Ross. Said he is 216 pounds now and ran, I think I heard this correctly, a 4.45 40 yard dash. Said he is a beast.
I'll add to the OP list the recruitment, or lack thereof, of Adrian Baker. As this was explained I just sat there in partial shock and disbelief. I'll just say it would probably be in the best interest of everybody to take what a recruit says with a grain of salt from now on. I'm also more apt to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt now seeing what they have to sift through and deal with. Yeah its great to get talented and highly rated kids, but they need to be good kids as well. IMO, what this kid did really reflects on his character and it doesn't bother me at all that he is elsewhere.
For those of us out of State that weren't able to set there in shock and disbelief could you tell us what was said. We would also like to be in shock and disbelief. Thank You
I hate it when these guys bring out the Roy Williams comparison. The odds of any recruit having an impact anywhere close to that of TGRW is highly unlikely...the dude was just one of the best college defenders ever. it's not fair to the incoming player.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports