No. 21 Oklahoma (16-4, 5-2) visits West Virginia (12-8, 4-5) at WVU Coliseum in Morgantown, W. Va., Sunday, Feb. 3.
(Photo courtesy of OU Sports Information)
• Ron Thulin (play-by-play) and Brenda VanLengen (analyst) have the call on FSN's national broadcast of the game.
• The radio broadcast with Brian Brinkley on play-by-play and Colton Coale as color analyst will air on KREF 1400 AM in the Oklahoma City metro area.
• A replay of the game will be available to watch online at SoonerSports.tv following its live broadcast.
TICKETS AVAILABLE FOR OU HOME GAMES
• Tickets may be purchased online at SoonerSports.com or by calling the OU Athletics Ticket Office at 1-800-456-GoOU.
• Single-game tickets are available with prices beginning at $5 for general admission seating.
• OU students receive free admission at Oklahoma home games when presenting a valid ID.
• Oklahoma and West Virginia are meeting for the third time and second as conference opponents.
• The overall series is tied 1-1. Oklahoma beat West Virginia 71-68 in their earlier matchup in Norman on Jan. 4.
• West Virginia won the first meeting, 83-65, in Norman on Nov. 26, 1989.
• Oklahoma head coach Sherri Coale is 373-172 (.684) in her 17th season. She has been the Big 12 Coach of the Year four times.
• Mike Carey is 239-135 (.639) in his 12th year as head coach at West Virginia.
• Oklahoma visits Kansas State at Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan, Kan., on Wednesday, Feb. 6.
• The game will be televised on FS Southwest Plus, FS Midwest and FCS Atlantic at 7 p.m. Central.
IT TAKES THREE TO KNOW THREE
Oklahoma is the Big 12 leader in both 3-point field goal percentage offense and defense. The Sooners, led by the NCAA's second-ranked 3-pointer shooter Aaryn Ellenberg, shoot 3s at a 40 percent clip and hold opponents to 27 percent.
Oklahoma is also the NCAA's No. 2 3-point offense by percentage.
The Sooners average 8.6 3-pointers per game, which puts them on pace to beat the program record 251 scored in the 2010-11 season.
An early advantage is important as OU is 12-0 when leading at halftime and 4-4 when trailing. On average, Oklahoma outscores opponents 35-29 in first periods, holding to 36.3 percent field goal shooting and 26.1 percent 3-point shooting in first halves. The Sooners have held opponents to 25 or fewer first-half points in seven games and 30 or fewer in 12 games.
EASY AS 1, 2, 3
Junior guard Aaryn Ellenberg is one of the nation's top 3-point shooters, and is using the shot most effectively at this point of her career. Ellenberg leads the Big 12 in 3-point field goals per game (3.6) and 3-point field goal shooting (.449),and ranks second and fifth, respectively, in the NCAA in those categories.
Nearly 54 percent of Ellenberg's attempts come from 3-point range, a 12 percent rise over the 42 percent she shot as a sophomore. Ellenberg took 46 percent of her attempts from beyond the arc when she set Oklahoma's single-season record for 3-pointers (94) as a freshman.
Despite the additional attempts from deep range, Ellenberg's 3-point percentage is eight percent better than last year's .368.
BUT THAT'S NOT ALL
Ellenberg, a 5-7 shooting guard, has six blocks in her last seven games. In the 82 career games prior, she totaled only three.
Of Oklahoma's 16 wins, 15 have a common thread -- the Sooner defense held its opponent to 40 percent or lower field goal shooting. The Sooners won at TCU 85-79 when they shot 44.6 percent on Jan. 9. In OU's victories, opponents have averaged 32.9 percent from the field. In OU's three losses, opponents have connected on an average of 48.0 percent of their shots.
OU-WEST VIRGINIA SERIES HISTORY
Oklahoma and West Virginia are meeting for the third time and second as Big 12 opponents after the Sooners beat the Mountaineers earlier this season.
POSITIVE POINT GUARD
OU point guard Morgan Hook has had a positive assist-to-turnover ratio in 11 straight games (69 assists to 32 turnovers). Hook has not counted more turnovers than assists since a two-assist, three-turnover performance against North Texas on Dec. 6.
Since returning to the starting lineup full time in the last 11 games, McFarland averages 10.8 points and 10.4 rebounds and has double-doubles in four of eight Big 12 games, which leads the league.
Though Oklahoma has gone through January without racking up consecutive losses since the 2004-05 season, the Sooners have not been as stellar in February.
Oklahoma is 8-9 in February the last two seasons and 13-12 the last three.
Current Sooners are ascending several Oklahoma career statistical categories. Ellenberg is nearing a position as one of Oklahoma's top 10 career scoring leaders. With 1,468 career points, the junior guard is just 44 shy of passing No. 10 Angi Guffy, who scored 1,511 between 1992-95.
Already have an account? Sign In